The Geo Prizm was produced as a glider in 1993 by General Motors (NUMI plant in Fremont, CA) and sold to U.S. ElectriCar corp who installed the electric drivetrain at their factory near Los Angeles, CA. Today the car gets around 25 miles range on a fresh pack of (cheap) lead-acid batteries.
|Motor||50 kW 3-Phase AC Induction|
|Controller||Hughes 50 kW Dolphin Controller|
|Batteries||50 x 12 v 26 ah Mighty Max Sealed Lead Acid (installed Feb 2020)|
|Range||12 miles in the Saratoga Hills; 25 miles in the Valley.|
|Capacity||Seats 5 adults with a full trunk|
Here are some resources that I have collected/organized/put together that are sure to help any new owner.
The US ElectriCar corp went out of business in 1995 - and all support for the car has become tacit knowledge of the few owners out there.
Owners Support Group
- Mailing List for US ElectriCar EV Owners & Enthusiasts
- Yahoo Group 1997 - 2020 Archive (courtesy of Chris)
- (1993 June 24) Clean Machines : Deal With Hughes Gives Electric Cars a Jump Start
- (1994 March 11) Electric Car Maker Plays Down Difficulties
- (1995 Feb 12) Utilities Coalition Buys 38 More Electric Vehicles
- (1995 March 21) Sputtering U.S. Electricar Hits a Cash Wall / Company reports loss, layoffs, need for money
- Chris's Prizm on EV Album
- EV America Performance Stats
- Dynamometer testing of the U.S. Electricar Geo Prizm conversion electric vehicle